CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

I Don't Wanna Grow Up.


At the very young age of four, The Boy has decided that he doesn’t want to have any more birthdays. He wants to stay four forever. He wants to stay four so much that he cries when we discuss his upcoming birthday in January. Really sobbing, big tears, runny nose, the whole shebang.

Initially The Man and I were very surprised and a little concerned by this. We then realized that the cause of the problem lies within the Toys R Us song:

“I don't wanna grow up, I'm a Toys R Us kid. There's a million toys at Toys R Us that I can play with. From bikes to trains to video games, it's the biggest toy store there is. I don't wanna grow, because then if I did, I wouldn't be a Toys R Us kid!"

The Boy thinks that when he grows up, which apparently happens at age five, he won’t be interested in Toys R Us anymore, and he really doesn’t want that to happen. We tried to explain to him that Toys R Us is for everyone, boys and girls of all ages. We pointed out that Mommy and Daddy both love Toys R Us. We tell him that Daddy is almost thirty years old, a number so large that The Boy claims his father is almost one hundred years old. Doesn’t Daddy love Toys R Us (you think those toys get put away after The Boy goes to sleep? – think again!)? Even so, The Boy declares, “I don’t think that’s going to happen for me.”

It is so heartbreaking that my little guy, who should have no worries, is so distraught over this. We comfort him and tell him that we are sorry he is so upset. And I hope that he makes it through the year without making us throw out all of his toys and video games, being a “grown up” and all.

0 comments: