CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, January 21, 2008

Spelling Bee

Quite often The Man and I spell things out to each other in order to avoid The Boy understanding us. For example, "Do you want to go to M-C-D-O-N-A-L-D-S?" Only a couple of times has The Boy caught on and asked, "Mommy, what are those letters you just said?" At which time I either knew what was decided and told him what the letters were, or I told him that it was grown up talk and he didn't need to worry about it.

Recently, The Man wanted to tell me about the tiger incident at the San Francisco Zoo, and he spelled out the word "killed." We may or may not be overprotecting The Boy by doing this, but we try not to discuss death if not related to our family (i.e., a grandparent, pet, etc.), and fortunately we have not had this issue come up yet. The Boy was not interested or not listening and never even asked us about what we were talking about.

Since then, two things happened that lead me to believe that my spelling days are soon coming to an end.

First: our friends do not share this protective view with us and share many things with their daughter that I (I won't speak for The Man) feel are inappropriate. She watches television shows that involve murders, sex outside of marriage, etc., and they are very blunt with her about news stories and life. I am not judging at all. I love this family and I think their daughter is great. I am simply stating the difference in parenting styles. Anyway, we went to the San Francisco Zoo together months ago. About two weeks ago, we are all at lunch and she says something about a tiger from the zoo we went to killing someone. I am horrified and look over at The Boy and he doesn't seem to notice, probably distracted by something shiny. I think The Man may have asked her not to talk about it because she didn't say another word. Whew. I guess I'm going to have to start preparing myself for potential questions in case his classmates or a friend speaks with him about something that we would normally shield him from.

Second: I was touring properties with a potential vendor. I know that he has a daughter and he knows that I have a son so we often ask each other about the other person's family and sometimes that leads to other topics. So zoos came up, and I asked him if he had heard about this incident in San Francisco and in describing the what happened I spelled out the word "killed." I remembered later because he gave me a strange look and I thought, "What?!?" and I wondered later why he would look at me like that. As I retraced my steps in the conversation, I realized what I had done.

O-O-P-S.

0 comments: