CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, February 25, 2008

New Shoes

We bought new shoes for The Boy yesterday. I think this is the first time that he has worn out his shoes before he grew out of them. Also, this was the first time he was really involved with picking them out. Previously, I ordered them online, or he was too young to care what kind of shoes he was wearing. He always stated how he could run faster, but it has never been as adamant as yesterday’s declaration.

We purchased Mario and Sonic at the Olympics for the Wii last week and it has been non-stop at our house. I’m pretty sure that’s how I’m going to die. Heart attack by Wii game. The Boy is totally in love with Sonic right now and wanted to get Sonic shoes. I wasn’t sure they existed, but I now see that I can, of course, get them on eBay.

Anyway, we went to the mall and I was searching for a particular pair of shoes and we also needed to find a pair of white shoes. But we got to the first store and The Boy fell in love with these shoes because he says they are Sonic shoes because they have an “S” on them and they are blue like Sonic. His little heart was set on those shoes and it didn’t matter what we showed him, he hated everything else. We bought the shoes and he wore them home. He was so excited about them and informed us that he is now faster than Dash from The Incredibles and that he and Sonic are the same amount of fast.

We could barely pry them off of his feet before he went to bed last night, and this morning when he got up he said we should take them downstairs so we don’t forget them. He forgot to take them right then, and then remembered later. He asked Dad to bring them down. Daddy assumed that it would be okay to bring the shoes downstairs the next time he went down, but a few minutes later we heard The Boy stomping up the stairs. He bursts into our room, observes The Man putting on his own shoes and cried out, “Stop tying your shoes! Bring my Sonic shoes downstairs right now!!!”

When we finally put the shoes on, I told him that I would take a picture of him in his new shoes. What I meant was go stand over there and I’ll take a picture of your entire body and your shoes will be part of the picture. What he did was this:




The Boy is not one who traditionally goes around telling his friends I did this or showing a teacher something new, but today, it was all about the shoes. He showed Grandma, two teachers, and two friends before I could even left him at school.

I loved every second of it. It’s so great when your kids make their own decisions and are proud of those decisions.

0 comments: