CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Sleep


Did you know that the National Sleep Foundation says that kids ages five to twelve years old should get between 9 and 11 hours of sleep each night? That doesn’t seem like enough. I think it should be more like 18 to 24 hours hours of sleep each night. I mean, I need more than 9 to 11 hours of sleep each night. And I don’t really see how the needs of a five year old can be anywhere near the same as the needs of a twelve year old. I have seen a twelve year old boy sit still. I have not seen my five year old boy sit still. Ever. So I have to believe that he is expending more energy than the twelve year old. This means he requires more sleep than the twelve year old. Also, my five year old’s body is trying to grow at least two feet in the next thirteen years, whereas the twelve year old’s body is only has six years of growing left to do. I think The Boy’s body is working hard at growing and should therefore require more rest than the twelve year old.

Somehow, this scientific speculation escapes The Boy, as it probably does most other children, which is why the National Foundation for Sleep has come to the accurate conclusion that 9 to 11 hours of sleep is sufficient. I’d still like the National Parenting Foundation to make a recommendation.

0 comments: