CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Stuck in a Rut: The Conclusion?

I wrote about being stuck in a rut and I’m ready to update. Yes, the office is still completely depressing, yes, I’m still concerned that I might get laid off, and no I’m not friends with anyone else who got laid off. Acquaintances, maybe. But not friends. I did not mention this in that post, but my boss still treats me like garbage most of the time.

I have stopped looking for another job though. The following things happened that lead me to that decision (in no particular order):

1. The Boy has been enrolled in kindergarten and it is right by my office. Like, it’s one minute away.
2. I read an article on this website about how to break out of a rut. This helped a lot. Attitude is key.
3. I realized that I don’t really know what I really want to do for work. I enjoy doing a variety of different things and I am good at a lot of stuff, so I need to sit down and think about which avenue I want to take. Before I do that, it would be pointless to go to another job.

Some days (like yesterday) it feels really good to have made these very mature, adult decisions and I want to skip down the hallway because I’m so happy. And other days (like today), it seems like futile to try and think happy thoughts because I’m so sick of not caring about my work. Perhaps I need to increase my medication.

So it’s not a real conclusion because I do still feel like I’m in a rut. But maybe the rut is less deep and it’s headed in a specific direction.

0 comments: