CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Baby's Heartbeat

Since we were not planning to be pregnant, I was totally unprepared for the process of pregnancy. Normally, I research the heck out of everything until I know all possible scenarios before I do anything. “Not a risk taker, eh?” you say. I would respond with, “Uh, yeah I am. Sometimes, I totally squeeze the toothpaste from the middle.” So there.

The Man and I went to the doctor’s office for the first visit. (P.S. I LOVE my OBGYN. Even if he thought I was crazy, he never showed it. He answered ALL of my questions, and I had a lot. Pages sometimes.) I’m all excited. We’re having a baby, hooray! The doctor pulls out this little box and pulls a stick thing out of the box and puts the stick thing on my belly. He pushes it around until this sound starts coming out of the box. It sounds like this ba-bum, ba-bum, ba-bum. I realize that it’s the heartbeat and I start to weep. Not actual crying, but weeping. I lay there, totally content hearing my baby’s heartbeat, so overwhelmed with joy that tears came out of my eyes. There really WAS a baby in there. A real life was growing inside of ME. I was too non-special of a person to be blessed by something this huge. And then, I was truly excited. And scared. And worried. And happy. And unqualified. And inexperienced. And cherished. I was truly a mom.

1 comments:

Much More Than A Mom said...

Awww, thanks for sharing that. I totally remember that moment too. It never gets old hearing that.