CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, May 29, 2008

I Feel Like Skipping

I am free. SO FREE!!! I’m quitting my job. Finally. You know I’ve wanted to quit, and I wanted to find my passion before I started something new. But I was also considering working for my dad and finding my passion along the way since his thing may not last forever. So that is the route I am taking.

He offered the job to The Man. Because he knew The Man didn’t have work and wanted to offer it to him first. The Man does not want to do it. He is doing something else for my dad and he likes that. The Man said, Why don’t you hire your daughter? This would be perfect for her. My dad said he was concerned about health insurance, money, and stability. So I wrote him an e-mail that basically said: Dear Dad. I Love You. Please Hire Me.

My dad responded and said that it was more than just logic involved, also an “emotional strain.” He also said, Who taught you to argue like that? Your mother was a terrible influence on you (my dad is the one who taught me to argue). He said I wouldn’t have to wait longer than Friday (tomorrow), and that he was going to propose a fleece and referred me to the Book of Judges.

JUDGES 6:37-40 “37 ‘Look, I will place a wool fleece on the threshing floor. If there is dew only on the fleece and all the ground is dry, then I will know that you will save Israel by my hand, as you said.’ 38 And that is what happened. Gideon rose early the next day; he squeezed the fleece and wrung out the dew—a bowlful of water. 39 Then Gideon said to God, ‘Do not be angry with me. Let me make just one more request. Allow me one more test with the fleece. This time make the fleece dry and the ground covered with dew.’ 40 That night God did so. Only the fleece was dry; all the ground was covered with dew.”

That all happened on Tuesday. And I was fine with it. I didn’t stress about it, which is SO unlike me. Typically I’m so excited about the possibility of something that I start to plan the furniture layout of my office or picture what I’ll wear on my first day. On that day, though, I was totally at peace. I barely even thought about it for the next two days.

Today I left for lunch. I took a key to a tenant. I almost never leave the office for lunch. Lately it is because I don’t have a car with me at the office, but even when I do have a car, like I did today, I don’t normally go anywhere. I like to stay holed up at my desk all day and pretend the world around me does not exist.

I called my mom about something, also a rarity. Not as rare as going out for lunch, but I usually e-mail her if I can. While I was talking to her she said that Dad was on his way home from a meeting and he was in meetings all day yesterday, and she said he said okay. Okay? Like, I can quit my job?!? FOR REAL?!? I almost screamed. But I thought that my scare my tenant. I got off the phone with my mom and called my dad. He said that the thing he wanted to happen before he hired me (his “fleece”) had not happened yet, but that something else fell into his lap, completely out of the blue, and that, my friends, is how God works.

So I get to quit my job. I am so a happy camper right now. I’m giving my notice tomorrow. They aren’t going to know what hit them. I have to restrain myself from giving notice right now and/or acting too happy. I’m going to work for my dad as long as he needs me, try to find my passion along the way, and come out the other end a more complete person, who knows what she wants and is ready to start doing what she loves for the REST OF HER LIFE.

I'm off to draft my letter of resignation. Who am I kidding? I wrote it on Tuesday.

1 comments:

Fabulously Broke said...

CONGRATS!

I can't wait to quit my job too. MAy be sooner than I think :P