CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I Just Don't Care

When I complain about my job, people want to know what makes it so bad. Besides the fact that the environment is just doom and gloom lately, there are The Bosses.

I’ve discussed Female Boss before. And actually, she found someone else to pick on (poor soul), and I think she feels bad for me that The Man was laid off. She’s okay…for now.

Quiet Boss, on the other hand. It’s like he is trying to drive me insane. I get so angry with him that I don’t even CARE if he just saw me roll my eyes at him, or that I angrily snap at him. In fact, he makes me angrier because I think he thinks I’m joking. But I’m not. DO YOU HEAR THAT, QUIET BOSS?!? I REALLY DON’T LIKE YOU. I AM ACTUALLY ROLLING MY EYES AT YOU.

Why, you ask? What on earth could he possibly do to annoy a person so much? Thank you for asking! I will tell you.

Scenario A: I have been in property management for ten years, commercial management for three and a half years. HE has been in commercial property management for ONE year. Being in property management, we deal with compliance issues. He asked me, “Is this sign in compliance?” References Exhibit A.

My reply: “No.”
Quiet Boss: “Why?”
Me: “Because it’s plastic. That material is not allowed.”
Quiet Boss: “Where does it say that?”
Me: “In this document (pulls document FROM HIS HAND and holds up document).”
Quiet Boss: “Can you show me where it says that?”
Me, sighing heavily and rolling eyes: “Fine.”

Now hold on. I must say a few things. The first is that I KNOW WHAT THE HELL I’M TALKING ABOUT, OKAY? STOP QUESTIONING ME AND LEAVE ME ALONE so I can go write blog posts. Second, doesn’t it sound like he has not looked through the document himself, or if he did look through it, he couldn’t find the section that mentions plastic? Okay then, moving on.

I find the section about plastic and show it to him. Here is what he says, “Oh, so you think this section applies to our situation, too?” TOO?!? That means that he looked through the document, FOUND the section he was looking for, and instead of just showing me the section and saying, “Hey, is this what this means?” WE HAVE TO GO THROUGH ALL THIS $&!%. That is a complete inefficient waste of time and it makes me want to take the document and paper cut his throat with it.

Scenario B: Our accounting program is stupid. It only performs one function for us and it doesn’t even do that accurately. It cannot perform any other functions, forcing us to do those things manually. Upon request from Female Boss AND Quiet Boss, I have researched, reviewed, compared, and reported many other accounting systems. Quiet Boss has yet to review them. It’s been about ten months since I gave it to him. He knows that our current program is temperamental and that even the makers of the program could not answer his questions on what it will do.

Quiet Boss: “If you do A and B on our accounting program, will I get this result?”
Me: “I don’t know.”
Quiet Boss: “But if you do this on the accounting program, will this number show up in this column?”
Me: “I don’t know.”
Quiet Boss: “Let me clarify. If you put this number here and this number there and press Submit, what will happen?”
Me: “If you don’t leave me the &@%$ alone, I’m going to put my fist through the monitor and then shove it up your @$$.”

IT DOESN’T MATTER HOW MANY DIFFERENT WAYS YOU ASK ME, our accounting system SUCKS and the answer is going to be THE SAME EVERY TIME. If you don’t like it, review the damn information I gave you ten months ago and get us something better.

Between not liking my job, being in a terribly depressing work environment, wanting to work for my dad, or ANYWHERE else for that matter, wishing I could stay home with The Man and The Boy every day, I no longer care. I don’t care about my job. I don’t care if I’m rude or unprofessional to my bosses. I don’t care if the work is done correctly. Heck, I don’t even care if it gets done at all.

It’s not challenging me anyway. Wait, I take that back. It is challenging me to not kill anyone.

I know it’s not a good place to be. It’s not a nice thing to treat my work this way. But I don’t know what else to do. Because, really, it’s all I can do to keep from sitting at my desk all day and bawling my eyes out from 8 to 5.

2 comments:

anymommy said...

Ugh. This makes me glad I'm not working (away from home) right now. I don't miss those people. Or the endless, pointless meetings.

I saw your comment on Beth's blog about my header and popped over. She is amazing. I love all her designs (yours is darling too). It is exactly what I wanted and I get all happy whenever I open my blog!!

Burgh Baby's Mom said...

Hmm . . . substitute in "big huge hospital system" and I think I have worked at that exact same place. I'm so glad I'm not there anymore! (Sorry that you are.)