CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, May 30, 2008

One Time You Broke My Rib

Hunny Bear, you broke my rib.

Yes it's true. When you were about eighteen months old, you and I were at home, rough housing on the floor. I was lying on the ground and your were lying next to me so that we made a "T" shape and your feet were at my ribcage. You pulled your feet up to your chest and then just let go. You kicked me so hard I didn't know what hit me. My side hurt in a way it never had before.

I don't really remember the rest of the events but I was in a lot of pain, then I made the mistake of picking up a friends' child, heard a crack, and then I really learned what pain was. I ended up going to urgent care where X-Rays were taken and because of where the break was it was not visible on the films. But the doctor got a kick out of studying the film, touching my ribs where they were broken while I screamed in agony, and then repeating because he was in disbelief that he could not see something this painful on his X-Rays.

They gave me this wrap thing, told me not to lift you or anything that weighed more than a small rock, and sent me home with prescription pain killers. It was a super tough recovery, considering I was a stay at home mom, Daddy worked lots of overtime, and we had no help from friends or family.

Eventually I healed. About two or three years later I had a very severe winter cold and I sneezed and coughed so much that it broke again. It did not take as long to heal that time around, but it was just as painful.

The moral of this story: Drink a lot of milk. Daddy still drinks milk and he has never broken a bone.

Also, I can tell you when it's going to rain because I can feel it in my rib.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Ugh, that sounds SO painful!

New Kate Says said...

OUCH! I need to start drinking milk again. You think vitamin D pills will do?