CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Powder VS. Soda

Last night I made a FANTASTIC dinner. Rice with this artichoke mixture, chicken and onions sautéed (that’s right, I know a big cooking term) in white wine. Yum. It was really very tasty and if I think that then it was deserving of some sort of cooking award because I don’t like anything I make even if a million other people like it and eat it.

Apparently that dinner was the maximum capacity my brain could handle on the cooking front. Because then I thought, I am in the mood for this blueberry scone recipe I have been dying to make. I mix everything up just like the recipe says. One particular ingredient I think, “Wow that seems like a lot of this ingredient.” So I checked the recipe two or three times. Tablespoons? Yes, tablespoons! 1 ¾? Yes, 1 ¾! Baking soda? Yes, baking soda!

Pull those suckers out of the oven. Mmmm, they smell SO good. I couldn’t wait for them to cool off so I picked a piece off the top and blew on it to cool it off. Pop it in my mouth…tastes yummy! Wait. Nope, it’s okay. Wait. No, it’s not good. Why does it taste all bitter as I swallow it? Maybe it was just that piece. Take another bite. A bigger bite. Uh, no, it’s the entire thing. What could it be? I check the recipe AGAIN.

Um, yeah, it said baking POWDER. NOT soda. I looked at that damn recipe, read “baking powder,” went into the pantry and pulled out the baking soda. Then I compared the two words from the box and from the recipe (because, you see, I have made this mistake before), and I read them to be the same. Like I have some kind of ingredient dyslexia. What. The. Heck.

The entire batch is in the garbage and I felt like an idiot for the rest of the evening. And I had a little heartburn because it is probably not good for your stomach to eat that much baking soda.

The Man has agreed to be my “cooking spotter” from now on. I will get out all of the ingredients, pre-measure them, set them next to the recipe, and he will come in and review everything before I get started.

1 comments:

Kelvin Kao said...

This reminded me of the time you tried to make brownies.