CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, May 9, 2008

Ultrasound

We were sent for our scheduled ultrasound. We didn’t know for sure when we had conceived and this was going to give us an idea of our due date. Based on what we had told my OB, he had given us a date of January 27, 2003.

We told the ultrasound tech that we did not want to know the sex of the baby. We wanted it to be a surprise. I don’t know why I was so adamant about that, but I really did not want to know. The two girls at my office who were pregnant both knew they were having boys and I just didn’t want to know. When my aunt was pregnant with my cousin eighteen years ago, she didn’t find out what she was having and I gave her a really hard time about it. “Why aren’t you finding out? I want to know what it is!” She said that if God wanted us to find out, He would have put a window in place of our belly button. “I’m going to find out what I’m having when I have babies. I wouldn’t be able to wait.” was my defiant reply. I was eleven.

The tech puts that cold, gooey gel on my tummy and presses the thingie (that is the technical term for it) on the gel. We can hear the heartbeat again and we see the blob moving around. She measures a few things like the head to get an idea of how old the blob was. She takes a few pictures and prints them out for us. I cherished those pictures. In one picture in particular, the blob is waving at us. That one was my favorite and I put it in a frame that had this Bible verse on it: “Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you.” Jeremiah 1:5. I lost the rest of the sonogram pictures. I was devastated. I thought I remembered putting them in a book and I think I gave the book to my brother. He denies that they were in the book. I don’t know if I believe him, but it doesn’t really matter. The point is that they are nowhere to be found, so I treasure the one that I have.

It was really incredible for The Man and me to see the little life that was growing inside of me.

The ultrasound tech gave us a new due date – January 15, 2003.

1 comments:

Kelvin Kao said...

I hope nobody slips and accidentally use a gender-specific pronoun to refer to the baby in front of you!