CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The End Of An Era

I spent most of the last eighteen months of my life complaining about how badly my job sucked, and now I only have four days left to work here!

This morning I was still doing The Happy Dance. But then I had a meeting with Female Boss and Quiet Boss, wherein I explained my job duties and handed over current projects. I am going through my desk, taking home personal items, and drafting good-bye e-mails. And now I am sad.

I’m sad because even though I am unhappy in my current position, I still love this company. It feels like home to me. We all know that home isn’t always a happy place, but it is familiar and comfortable.

I’m sad because it’s the end of an era. I only worked at my first job for one year when I was eighteen and I quit because the (married, 50-year-old) boss wouldn’t quit hitting on me. Then I started here. The temp agency I signed up with sent me here. I had never heard of this company before and now I am shocked when I come across people who haven’t heard of it. Only my second job in life and it carried me for ten years. For someone who doesn’t like change and VOLUNTEERED for this change, it is very sombering (is that a word? I don’t think it is, but it should be. Or maybe it’s “sobering?”) to think that I am freely giving away my comfortable surroundings.

In the ten years I have worked here, I have worked with hundreds of people within the company, and yet I am only moved to send five good-bye e-mails:

JD, I will miss seeing your smile and hearing your laugh. You are a very kind person and my life has been improved because I know you, and I really mean that.

M, I will miss your calm approach to life. You are timeless; in your manners, your dress, and your professionalism; an excellent example for any female to look up to.

S, I will miss saying "What?!?" to you every day!!! I will also miss seeing your smile. The joy you brought back here was so needed. You have such a strong, confident presence, and a positive attitude.

C, I have kind of enjoyed working with you, but mostly you've been a pain in the you-know-what. I will miss your sarcasm and my hundred bucks.

Seriously, I really am bummed that I will miss seeing your beautiful little girl grow up. It was nice that you noticed that I wasn't smiling. If anyone else noticed it, nobody ever said anything, and it was nice to think that somebody cared. I wish you all the best.

JW, I have enjoyed working with you and talking about our kids. I know I was terrible at keeping in touch with K [his wife] after I came back to work, but I want you both to know that I can never express in words how much our friendship meant to me. That was a very dark time for me when I was at home those two years and spending time with her was sometimes the only light in my day.

I’ll send another one to a few vendors, and then one each for CEO Boss, Female Boss, Quiet Boss, and Boss Man. You know, Thanks for letting me work here and for all the opportunities, blah blah.

Although I feel blessed to have met five people who I will take with me in my heart forever, I know that because I feel the need to say good-bye to only five people that I am making the right decision by leaving.

3 comments:

Kelvin Kao said...

If I were to leave my company now, I would only have four people to say goodbye to. That's how big the company is.

Rachael said...

There are always good parts... I remember leaving my job of three years and I knew I wouldn't miss the job or the company, but I had some really good times there.

Here's to change, and whatever comes next.

Catherine said...

Awww, those were really nice goodbyes. And yay for new beginnings!!!