CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Rocks

When I was a kid, my mom used to get on my case about emptying pockets before putting our clothes in the laundry. I’m pretty sure my brother was the bigger culprit, and she was sure to remind him too. What I remember is that this was really a pet peeve for her – having things in our pockets. I didn’t know why it bothered her so much, and I figured I’d get it when I had my own kids.

I myself have left a few tissues in pockets over the course of my adult years, and yes, that can be very frustrating. Of course it’s my own fault when I find tissue shredded all over my black fleece pants when I pull them out of the dryer. Again, I don’t like it, but it has never made me really angry, and I figured there must be something about when your children do it that is particularly annoying.

The Boy is five and he is obsessed with collecting rocks. I don’t know if this started the fascination, but we went to Lake Tahoe one time and went shopping. I had him pick out some rocks at this store that was all different kind of rocks. Rocks turned into clocks, jewelry, animal figures, etc. He picked out about ten rocks, all different shapes, sizes, colors, polishes, etc., and we took them home.

Every day he comes home from day care with at least one rock in his pocket. Whenever we go outside it appears that there is a magnetic force between his hand and rocks on the ground. It is almost impossible for him to see a rock and not pick it up. He has three containers in his room that are part of his Rock Collection.

The first day my mother-in-law baby-sat him, he collected thirty-seven rocks to bring home. The Man told his mom No more rocks please. The next time he went to their house, The Boy asked my mother-in-law if they could collect THREE HUNDRED rocks. She said yes (to keep at her house), and they did it. He counted and picked up three hundred rocks at one time. Yet he doesn’t have the patience to hold still while I tie his shoe or wipe his face.

Obviously, I get a lot of rocks banging around in the washing machine and in the dryer. The first time it happened it didn’t bother me. I presumed it would get tiring the more it happened. I mean I remember my mom used to get REALLY MAD about stuff being in our pockets!

It’s been years now since his rock fixation began and I have probably come across three hundred rocks in the laundry, and it still does not bother me. I love finding his rocks. They make me smile, because they remind me that I have a healthy little boy who is passionate about something.

If it changes from rocks and I start to find gum or goldfish in my laundry, I’m pretty sure I’ll write a completely different type of post. But for now I smile when I am sitting in the living room and I hear the “clang clang” sound of rock beating on the metal drum in the dryer.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

This just makes me smile. My son loves rocks too, he's not at the collecting stage yet, but my mom bought him a bag of gravel to play with and he LOVES it!

anymommy said...

I found my first rocks in the dryer the other day. It totally made me smile. My baby boy is now a little boy with rocks in his pocket and everything!