CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Scrap It

When I stayed home with The Boy for the first two years of his life I started scrapbooking. I even became a consultant for one of those big name scrapbook companies (aka PYRAMID SCHEME), which I could probably mention by name (you could figure it out on your own, I think there's only one) but that would be much less mysterious than not naming it at all so let's go with that.

Of course I ended up with A MILLION dollars worth of product and it's very overwhelming. Besides being overwhelmed, I don't even think I do a good job. My favorite pages are pages that I copied from someone else. I'm just not creative like that.

It was easier to scrapbook when I had a regular camera with like, real film in it (I know I'm old, spare me), and the pictures were physically in my hand. Now I just put everything online on Shutterfly and MySpace and then I don't do anything with them. I'm lazy and I don't want to go ALL THE WAY to Target to pick them up, or even ALL THE WAY to the mailbox when they get delivered (have I mentioned lately how much I LOVE laziness?). And I certainly don't want to spend money on the pictures when I could be spending that money on pants for The Boy (a story for another time). Or an iPhone. Or cake.

I have probably scrapbooked twice in the last six months and only because my mom guilted invited me over to her house and I made her promise to feed me lunch and cake. What I would really like to do is OHMYGOSH GET RID of all of the scrapbook clutter in my house that I never use. Imagine the space I would have. For pants. And cake.

But then I feel like a bad mom for wanting to sell on eBay the tools needed to preserve The Boy's memories. Do you think the MySpace photo albums are enough? And will that last forever? Or some other online memory keeper?

3 comments:

Rachael said...

I would love to have pretty scrapbooks of all my favorite memories, but I just don't have the time or patience or money for that.

I use flickr, if you pay like $20 a year, you get unlimited storage, so I upload all my photos there to share with friends and family. I archive all my digital prints on our computer, and keep it backed up. Then every year around his birthday, I make a new photo album. I know I have 240 slots, and I go through the pictures for the year and pick my favorites to print out and put in the album. I figure one album per year is not overdoing it. Usually I pick 10 per month, then delegate the other 120 to special occasions (xmas, parties, playdates that were special, holidays, trips etc.).

It works for me! We also got a digital photo frame for our house, so we can have our favorite pictures rotating on that.

Skye said...

Online photo albums serve an extremely valuable function - if your house and computer burn down, you still have all your pictures. Way better than lavishing time and money on scrapbooks if you don't enjoy making them, in my opinion. Print a photos to have around the house, and sell all the scrapping stuff.

Fabulously Broke said...

Do an online scrapbook. Or none at all. I'm not sure kids really look back at that.... at least I don't think so