CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, August 4, 2008

Stupid Squid Soap

I fell for the marketing. I admit it.

I saw a commercial for this soap and I was like WHAT A GREAT IDEA. So I found it and I bought it. And I tried it before The Boy did so I could show him how to use it.

Let me preface the rest of this by saying the hand washing is a serious business for me. I have ideal hand washing situations that make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, others that are tolerable, and finally, scenarios that are completely unacceptable and I'd rather lick my own hands clean than wash my hands in that environment. Probably most people don't spend that much time thinking about washing hands. But I do. And so this experience was important to me.

The idea is that you press down with your palm on the pump and you get a red circle on your hand while the soap goes into your other hand. Then you rub your hands together and when the squid soap takes the red off your hand, you know your hands are clean.

It didn't work.

Even though it's the last thing that didn't work for me on the soap, I'm going to say that FIRST OF ALL, THE FREAKING RED DOT DOESN'T COME OFF THE HAND. Being a semi-professional hand washer, it drove me nearly insane to continue to scrub my hand with the squid soap, cold water, more squid soap, warm water, my regular soap, scalding hot water and some steel wool, the red dot was still there. I stopped short of cutting the dot out of my palm, but don't think the thought didn't cross my mind.

Now, of course The Boy wouldn't be nearly as neurotic about getting the red dot off his hand, but still. If you tell him your hands are clean when the red dot is gone, the poor kid is going to think he can't clean his own hands!

Second, and this could just be a matter of preference, but I like light and foamy soap. I like the bottles that are a liquid and the pump comes out white and foamy, floating like a cloud in your palm. The SQUID SOAP is cold and gooey. It squirts out much the way I imagine the ink spews out of a squid. So if that's what they were going for, they succeeded. Otherwise, IT SUCKS. I can't imagine it cleaning anything well at all with it's sticky, gummy MESS.

Other than the good IDEA and the cute package, the squid soap sucks.

4 comments:

Rachael said...

That is the worst thing I have heard all day. What the heck? It has to REMOVE the dot.

Kelvin Kao said...

It doesn't wash off? That's evil. On the other hand (no pun intended), clubs, amusement parks and carnivals can use this thing to stamp people for re-entrance...

much more than a mom said...

I totally agree!

Beth at I Should Be Folding Laundry said...

Very interesting...I had never heard of it until now, but I certainly will not be buying it.